Speaking with original Amber Developer

Amber - Journeys Beyond
Luhgnut

Speaking with original Amber Developer

Post by Luhgnut »

Jafa,

The original developer of Amber: Journey's Beyond is a personal friend of mine. We have been talking about your install, but since I have the original 2 disk version of the game, which is prior to the launched single CD version, I get an error that it cannot find the volume for A:JB mounted. Speaking with him, he tried to remember the single CD volume name so I could make an ISO and attempt a launch of the game, with little success. Can you recall from your install code, what volume name your installer is looking for?

If I have that, I'm pretty sure I can get a good launch and running. I'm trying to talk him into going up into the attic (which is haunted) at his house and digging out the original code to look. But in the meantime, can you recall the volume name?
jafa
Site Admin

Re: Speaking with original Amber Developer

Post by jafa »

Hi,

The volume name is AMBER_JB
The list of all the files from the original CD with md5sum of each file is attached.

The upgraded exe mostly works... it needs a bit more TLC to fix the transitions and a few glitches.

My goal is preservation of Win95 era games (mostly adventure games) - please say hi (and thanks) to the dev from me.

Nick
Attachments
amber_md5.txt
(39.55 KiB) Downloaded 1160 times
Luhgnut

Post by Luhgnut »

Morning thanks for reply and clarification. I told Frank that you wrote the install and he said "cool"
I'll forward your addy and try the exe. It's a great game and great people that developed it. They only created this one game and when asking if they wanted to do another, the answer was "no way" they pretty much got hosed by the publisher and didn't make any money in the process which turned them off from developing another.
Collector

Post by Collector »

It sounds like the EXE from this other version need to be patched, too. Version detection could be added to the installer to use the right EXE.
Luhgnut

Post by Luhgnut »

The original 2 disk version was pre-launch, and given to me by The Wimmers as a gift. Prior to release, so there isn't too many out there, until they told them to recompile to single CD. I have the iso's packed, but trying to figure out best way to xfer them to you.

going to twist their arms to maybe re-release as a web only sale if we can get this to work. game is that good. Tell you though, was frustrating going out to dinner, and not getting the answer to how to get unstuck in the game. Only grins. Wimmers are really good people. Little eccentric , but very cool.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Hi,

I was so excited when i saw there was a fix to play amber! I have the original 2 CD version for Windows 95 unfortunately, and i don't think the link works. When i open amber from the new installation folder, I just get a message telling me to insert the disc (i've tried with both discs and no luck). I know it seems like the people that have the windows 2 CD version are the minority but i would be ever so grateful if you were to figure out how i can still play this game. I held on to it for years hoping one day the smart people out there will work out a way to make it compatible to play on newer computers.

Also, as i'm not computer savvy at all, can you provide step by step instructions on how to make it work. :)
Thanks in advance xx