Error in Game

Lighthouse - The Dark Being (Sierra)
kingliam

Error in Game

Post by kingliam »

I just first want to say THANKS! This is seriously the best thing ever. I played lighthouse growing up and am very excited to dive back into this world.

I am running into this error that doesn't have a workaround (meaning, I the game has to close--and that's that). I get this error after completing world 1, entering through the portal out of Jeremiah's lighthouse, and trying to head over to Martin's Roost. It occurs on the beach, just before I get to the tower. I will mention however, that if I play the game from the perspective of following the dark being through the portal when he steals Amanda, I don't think that the error occurs in the same spot.

Here are the technical specs:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: SIERW5.EXE
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 48d3f1e7
Fault Module Name: StackHash_e98d
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 003c003c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e98d
Additional Information 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53
Additional Information 3: 6eab
Additional Information 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635
I've done a bit of my own hex and binary programming in the past and have tried to edit the setup file through a hex editor to no avail. I don't know if fixes for this setup file are dead, but if someone could point me in the right direction, maybe I could fix some things. :) On a side note, I have successfully edited the resource file to allow me to play without the cds (play off of images to the cds) and I have create a batch file that switches the cds for me. I've been trying to figure out a way to edit the resource files to read everything from one spot and not have to look for two cds. That would be very nice.

Anyway thanks for any replies that help or are just general comments.
Collector

Re: Error in Game

Post by Collector »

I don't know what patches that jafa included with his installer, but there are are 4 official patches for the game. LITE2FIX is just for issues with the submarine, LITEPT2A is a minor update of the LITE2PAT patch. LITE2PAT combines the main patch (LHPAT) with added features, such as cursor highlighting. LHPAT is the only one that I don't have on my site, so I am not sure what all bugs are addressed by it. You can find them here:

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/P ... dates.html

I am very interested in what you have done with joining the resources of both discs. I have been writing new installers for the Sierra games and have managed to concatenate all of the multi-disc SCI games (Phantasmagoria, Phantasmagoria 2, GK2, SWAT) for full HDD play with UniSCI, except for Lighthouse and RAMA. Most of my installers employ the use of DOSBox. My Lighthouse installer includes the official patches and works great in DOSBox. With it, I get no crash after following the Dark Being through the portal. Can what you did to join the two CDs be scripted? If so, I would love to include it in the installer. Currently, since UniSCI did not work for the game, the installer creates ISOs of the two CDs and uses DOSBox's ability of image mount to load the CDs. Swapping discs is just a matter of pressing CTRL+F4, but no disc swapping would be more desirable.