I wonder if you might help me...

Betrayal in Antara (Sierra)
Dandy

I wonder if you might help me...

Post by Dandy »

Hello :) First off, thanks for making the patch that made it able for me to play one of my favourite games again :) It all works fine and I don't seem to have encountered the usual problems like the game crashing when it loads a new screen.

However, for some reason my laptop won't read Disk 3. I'm not sure if this is a game problem or a Vista problem but I can't seem to find a solution to the problem anywhere!

Like I mentioned, everything else runs fine, apart from Disk 3. Do you have any idea what's causing the problem and if so can you tell me how to fix it?
Collector

Re: I wonder if you might help me...

Post by Collector »

Can you copy the contents to your harddrive? If not you may have a damaged disc. Check the CD for scratches, abrasions, etc. You might also try to see if the disc is readable on anther PC. Sometimes marginal discs can be readable on one drive, but not another.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

No, the disk looks fine (it doesn't have scratches or anything like that). Vista doesn't pick up anything on the disk at all. On the second disk, Vista picks up all the files (I can view them in Explorer) but it doesn't with Disk three.

I haven't tried it on another PC yet :S
Collector

Post by Collector »

It must be an odd format that Vista doesn't like. My work station with Vista 64 cannot read disc 3, either. My laptop with XP MCE has no problems. Should be possible to copy the files on another PC and burn the disc so that Vista can read the copy.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Trojax

Post by Trojax »

Its weird I made an image of my second disk and it takes like 1 minute to load the game off of. The first disc (image) worked fine. Maybe its the copy protection or something.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

It worked like a charm :) Everything runs smoothly. Thank you so much again for your help!
daydreamer239

Post by daydreamer239 »

Thank you, thank you for this awesome patch! However, I have the same problem: I run Vista, my disk is perfectly fine, but Windows won't recognize it. I was very computer savvy on a Windows 98, however, I am a bit slow on the current technology (which is funny, bc I'm not that old). In any case, could you post a step-by-step on how to copy the CD? Would I need to do it on another computer? Thanks!