Problems with the Amber Installer

Amber - Journeys Beyond
fedexior

Problems with the Amber Installer

Post by fedexior »

Hi.

I'm writting because I have problems with the Amber Journeys beyond installer. I run it and install the game succesfully. But when I want to play, an error message appears:

ERROR: Failed to initialize Direct3D surface (0x8876086C)

Any ideas?

Thanx.
harka

Re: Problems with the Amber Installer

Post by harka »

Hi.

My problem is that I cannot even launch the new installer. I've tried it on XP, Vista and Win7, but after double-clicking all I get is a flash of a black window that vanishes right away. No error messages, nothing happens. Does this imply a glitch with my graphics settings? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance -- I've been trying to get this work for ages, and I truly appreciate all help.

-harka
Collector

Post by Collector »

Perhaps your AV?
harka

Post by harka »

Collector wrote:Perhaps your AV?
Thanks, Collector, but could be more specific? Does Amber (installer) have some preferences that I should know about?
Collector

Post by Collector »

Anti virus programs can sometimes interfere with installers. Also, have you tried to run the installer with admin privileges?
harka

Post by harka »

Collector wrote:Anti virus programs can sometimes interfere with installers. Also, have you tried to run the installer with admin privileges?
Yes, I uninstalled the AV (f-prot) entirely; that computer is not connected to internet anyway. No success. Also gave it admin via file properties, no luck. Is there perhaps something unique with the .msi file contra exe etc. that might require specific treatment?
Collector

Post by Collector »

Did you try to re-download the MSI after uninstalling F-Prot?
harka

Post by harka »

Collector wrote:Did you try to re-download the MSI after uninstalling F-Prot?
Still no, but I eventually managed to freeze the installer before blacking out to read the error message: Program too big to fit into memory. Naturally searched it but wasn't able to find any related hints..:(
Collector

Post by Collector »

It sounds like you might have a problem with your Windows Installer. Take a look at this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 121a13025a

If you still have problems, you could try installing the game with the original installer and unpack MSI and overwrite the files in the installed directory with the extracted files. Without examining everything that the MSI does, I don't know if this will work, but it may be worth a shot.
harka

Post by harka »

Collector wrote: If you still have problems, you could try installing the game with the original installer and unpack MSI and overwrite the files in the installed directory with the extracted files. Without examining everything that the MSI does, I don't know if this will work, but it may be worth a shot.
Phew. Finally got the installer unpacked via command prompt. I comes up to two folders, 'orig' and 'new' of which I copied the latter to replace the game installed form the original CD. Now executing the start file leads to:

"ERROR: InstallDir not found in registry"

I guess it's time for me to give up.. :|

Thanks for all the advice though, I really appreciate it!