CD not in drive?

Lords of the Realm 2 (Sierra)
Collector

Re: CD not in drive?

Post by Collector »

Unfortunately, the DOS version doesn't support networked multiplayer.
PirateGuy

Post by PirateGuy »

Oh, ok. :x Well, I guess I'll either have to figure out how to get the game to recognize the CD or just play singleplayer. Thanks for all the help. :D
Collector

Post by Collector »

Your E: drive is not an emulated drive, is it? Try just

Code: Select all

CDDrive=E:\
WindowsDir=C:\Windows\
for your L2.INI, if the drive that you have the CD in is E:/
Phil

Post by Phil »

Hey first off, thanks for making this game available.

I used the installer and it put it on my desktop under the C: drive. When I go to play, the first screen comes up, but when I click on campaign, it says that I don't have a cd in.

Can you guide me through what I need to do, I'm not really all that computer savy.

Thanks
Collector

Post by Collector »

There seems to be an problem with recognition of the CD with this installer. Until jafa has time to get back to his installer, you can try the DOSBox installer, which does not have this issue. If you don't expect to do online multi-player the DOS version is the same quality as the Windows, only without the online multi-player. There is a link to it, earlier in this thread.
Cymeru

Post by Cymeru »

I had this same problem, but I bare good news!

I took the exe file from another LotR2 download and overwrit the exe file of this one and solved this CD not in drive problem. No need to even to mount an image or file of any sort, or even mess with any directory stuff. Launched and played the game just fine on it's own.

Besides one thing!

When I launched the game there was no music and limited sound effects! I don't know about you guys but the music was one of the many reasons I loved this game so I went on a mission to fix this problem. And fix the problem I did!

This fix solves not only solves the CD not in drive problem but also adds full music and sound effects to the game! And best of all I compressed it into a .rar file and uploaded it to megaupload for you all that have this problem! :D

Now to apply the fix follow these steps:

1) Download and install SquirtTheCat's installer of Lords of the Realm 2 named lords_of_the_realm_2_install_20080706test5.msi at http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/lords ... index.html

2) After installing SquirtTheCat's version download my LotR2.rar file at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4DWUYTY2

3) Open and extract the LotR2.rar file to the exact place you installed SquirtTheCat's version of Lords of the Realm 2. You will be asked to replace files or not, do so.

4) Open your Lords of the Realm folder and search for the exe file named LORDS2

5) Right click the LORDS2 file and select Properties and go to the Compatibility tab

6) Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box and select Windows 95

7) Check the "Run in 256 colors" box and apply the changes

8) Launch Lords of the Realm 2 and enjoy :D

My thanks go out to SquirtTheCat for this Vista/XP installer as well, Thanks for keeping a great game updated and preserved for us old school gamers. :D /props

P.S. If anyone wants to play online at all I would like to test the online capabilitys. :)
Torm

Post by Torm »

Try the fix I posted in the other thread.